Wednesday 15 February 2023

Comments, and a floorplan...

I welcome feedback; comments, queries, protests, &c. You have to have a Google Account in order to comment (which shouldn't be a problem for most of you), and the comments are embedded. I'm under no illusion that this new blog will have the same attraction as my old one (let's not give it a name but it ran from 2010-2014) because the fire of youth has gone out of me, but I'd like to think that a sensible discussion can continue here on a smaller scale.

I like looking at floorplans of churches. This is the floorplan of Westminster Abbey. You can see by the length and grandiosity of Henry VII's new Lady Chapel that it is unlike the rest of the church, and in terms of scale makes the east end almost as long as the nave. The chapels of St Paul and St Nicholas have large windows that go right up to where the new chapel suddenly thrusts out. I imagine the old Lady Chapel was more in keeping with the small, circular chapels adjacent to it. This map is curiously the only one I could find that includes any reference to the Pew Chapel (no.5), which is little more than a doorway. I'll do a separate post on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment